From breaking down food to sporting a pleasing smile, teeth play an essential role in our daily routine. It is vital to make sure they are in good condition by following these tips to eliminate plaque and maintain your healthy smile.
Proper Brushing Technique
Proper brushing is the initial step to maintaining healthy gums and teeth. In addition, it can reduce the possibility of gum disease, which is among the primary causes of tooth loss.
For a proper brushing technique, make sure you spend a minimum of two minutes with the recommended technique for brushing that includes brushing each part in your mouth in the morning and at night.
While there are many ways to brush your teeth using manual toothbrushes, you should always consult your dentist and make sure to follow their recommendations. Use fluoride toothpaste with a soft-bristle toothbrush, and make sure to change it at least once every three months.
- Positioning the Toothbrush
The way you hold your toothbrush is dependent on which area of the tooth you are cleaning. The correct way to brush your teeth includes:
- Apply a thin strip of toothpaste to the bristles of your toothbrush. Use fluoride-rich toothpaste to strengthen your teeth and reduce decay.
- Brush your teeth along the gum line with a slight tilt and gently brush the bristles along the surfaces of your gums and teeth with small strokes. Be aware that brushing too hard can recede gums and cause hypersensitivity.
- Use the same technique and continue to clean your tooth's surfaces, including the chewing surfaces. Make sure to clean the crevices to ensure the removal of plaque.
- Do not forget to brush your tongue. Gently brush across your tongue and over the roof of your mouth to eliminate decay-causing bacteria and prevent bad breath.
Proper Flossing Technique
- Make sure to use approximately 18 inches of floss to ensure a fresh piece of floss is used on every tooth during the process of cleaning.
- The floss should be curled into a C shape as you slide it up and down the sides of every tooth.
- Make sure to floss the rear sides of your teeth in the back.
Once you have mastered the proper brushing techniques, a bit of discipline with it every day will make it appear effortless. It is among the easiest ways to keep the good health of your teeth and gums.
Please reach out to Persimmon Dental Care in Dublin, CA, to have a consultation with our dentists. Please call us at (925) 999-8282 or schedule an online consultation, and we’ll guide you further.