Laser dentistry is a non-invasive procedure for several oral issues. Lasers are highly concentrated light beams that medical professionals use to alter or eliminate tissues in tiny amounts.
Dental professionals use lasers in various procedures involving the mouth's interior, whether to take out the excess tissue, change the shape of the gums, or bleach teeth. It is the best option for children who are scared or anxious when undergoing dental procedures.
All lasers function by providing energy through light. When used for dental surgery, the light works like a cutting tool. During teeth whitening procedures, the laser serves as an activating source and increases the effectiveness of the teeth whitening agents, namely Hydrogen Peroxide or Carbamide Peroxide.
What Can Laser Dentistry Treat?
The majority of issues that laser dentistry addresses are related to gums. The most common ones are:
- Treatment of root canal infections
- Treatment of gum disease
- Treatment of tooth decay
- Treatment of hypersensitivity
- Teeth whitening
- Removing gum inflammation
- Treating obstructive sleep apnea
- Cold sores and canker pain
- Gum reshaping
- To expose impacted wisdom teeth
- Removal of benign oral tumors
- Nerve regeneration
- TMJ (temporomandibular joint) treatment
Benefits of Laser Dentistry
- Dentists opt for laser dentistry due to the numerous benefits that allow the procedure to run more smoothly and reduce discomfort.
- There is no need for sutures.
- Anesthesia is not required.
- The laser sterilizes the gums, which makes infections less likely.
- Gums are less damaged and require less time to heal.
- It reduces anxiety among patients who are uncomfortable using the dental drill.
- Reduce swelling and bleeding when you undergo soft tissue treatments, promoting blood clotting.
What Happens During Laser Gum Surgery?
The laser procedure is very simple, like other dental appointments. You may receive anesthesia, but it may not be the exact amount you are used to receiving. Anxious patients might be treated with a sedative as well. While you undergo the treatment, you will not experience any discomfort or vibrations from the laser.
Laser whitening aids in brightening and improving your smile. After the dentist has applied the whitening gel on your teeth, lasers accelerate the process, resulting in brighter outcomes.
Lasers also have a significant impact on crowns or bridges. Laser CAD/CAM technology enables dentists to create more precise impressions of teeth, making the procedure more pleasant for patients.
Please reach out to Persimmon Dental Care in Dublin, CA, to have a consultation with our dentists. Please call us at (925) 999-8282 or schedule an online consultation, and we’ll guide you further.