Cavities are a common dental problem, and people of all ages may suffer from them. They are small pits forming on the surface of your teeth. Cavities occur because of tooth decay – a common problem occurring when the acids produced by bacteria and plaque erode your tooth enamel. You can visit our clinic for the treatment of cavities, and we will perform composite fillings to help you get rid of the same.
What are Composite Fillings?
Composite fillings use a dental-grade composite resin material to restore your oral health. This material is made using different substances such as resin and glass. A composite filling is looked upon as a better alternative to amalgam fillings because, unlike the latter, it blends perfectly with the natural appearance of your teeth, thus enhancing your smile. Even if you have cavities in your front teeth, a composite filling will restore their appearance. Such fillings do not contain metal or mercury, thus a safe option over others.
How Long Does A Composite Filling Last?
If you take proper care of your composite fillings and do everything we suggest, they can last for more than five years. In some cases, your composite filling may last ten years.
What is the Procedure?
We will assess the condition of your teeth and discuss the procedure. We may administer local anesthesia if the size of the filling is large.
The procedure starts with cleaning off the decay. After it, we will apply a solution to remove the bacteria and prepare the area for fillings. We will also apply a conditioner layer acting as an undercoat. This layer helps to strengthen your fillings. With the help of a laser blue light, we will apply the composite layer and then polish your teeth to make them shiny. Finally, we will blend the filling. The results appear just like your natural teeth.
How to Care for Composite Fillings?
- Do not eat or drink too hot or too cold foods and beverages right after the procedure.
- Do not smoke for a few days after the composite filling procedure.
- Make sure to brush and floss your teeth properly. Use an antiseptic mouthwash to rinse your mouth. Brush your teeth, particularly after eating sweets, and avoid eating sticky food.
- Avoid beverages such as acidic drinks, caffeine, and alcohol as they may stain your composite fillings.
- Visit us at least twice a year for dental check-ups and examinations.
Please reach out to Persimmon Dental Care in Dublin, CA, to have a consultation with our dentists. Please call us at (925) 999-8282 or schedule an online consultation, and we’ll guide you further.